Hevel

The money trades hands
From you to me
Who has the most,
Why don't we see?
We spend our lives
Just seeking more
What are we wasting
All this time for?
Success is measured
In petty things
We find our pleasure
In diamond rings
In finding “happy”
We have much greed
Take more than we should
What we want, we “need.”
See in our future,
It’s only smoke*
It floats away
As our fingers close.
Never trying to see
In a different way
Only seeing the mirror
In front of our face
We just can’t look away
From all our possessions
We continue to nurture
Our self-obsession
Who cares of others
When I see me?
Sisters, brothers,
How can they be?
They share none
Of my “noble” blood
I'm sure their veins
Are full of mud
I care not to share
Any of my wealth
No thank you, sir, I’ll
Keep it all for myself.
Now, I ask you
Oblige if you choose,
Try to put yourself
In another’s shoes.
See if it’s easy as can be
If they’re running wild,
Floating free.
I’m sure you’ll say no
More often than not,
And suddenly it seems
As though you have a lot.
So try to give more
Take a little less,
The person you are-
Become your best.
And in the end
I know you’ll see,
That we really all are
A family.

*Bible definition of Hevel

Thanks, Pastor Ted ;)

Comments

Popular Posts