First

The night you were born
You found a place in my heart
And one of the best loves
Ever began to start.
I held your small body
Close to my chest
And vowed to protect you
From all of the rest.
The love started out tiny
A beginning- no doubt
But I knew it would grow
To the largest amount
Your humor makes me laugh
Your hurting makes me cry
So many hellos,
Too many goodbyes.
I watched you take your first steps
Unsure and unsteady
And the minute you needed it
Assistance was ready.
I could have taken your hand
And never let go
Because deep in my heart
I don’t want you to grow.
You could stay like this
So small, so helpless
But holding you back
Would only be selfish.
Your first words came soon,
Mama, Dada, and please
And now so many of your words
Are directed at me.
Never stop speaking
Whatever you feel
Because you will go places
That no one else will.
I love you so much
At your best and your worst
And when you get where you’re going
Don't forget who held you first.

Comments

Popular Posts